In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
Since 1994, the Fertility Center has served as a premier in vitro fertilization center in Chattanooga and Knoxville while also providing care to patients from Nashville, Atlanta, and locations around the globe. More than a thousand babies have been born as a result of the efforts of our doctors and IVF team.
What Is IVF?
In vitro fertilization, commonly referred to as IVF, is one of the most common and effective treatments for infertility. IVF is recommended for patients who cannot conceive due to severe male-factor issues, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, women with ovulation disorders, or unexplained infertility. In simple terms, In Vitro Fertilization is the process of creating embryos outside of the body and transferring those embryos directly into the uterus for implantation and pregnancy.
How It Works
At the Fertility Center, patients participate in IVF cycles, which are scheduled each month.
1. A woman’s ovaries are stimulated using a combination of medications, and when the timing is right, her eggs are surgically retrieved from her ovaries. Multiple eggs are retrieved from the ovaries because some eggs will not fertilize or develop after retrieval. The eggs are retrieved through a minor surgical procedure. The fertility doctor will deliver a hollow needle into the ovaries and pull out the eggs individually. Medication is provided to help with the discomfort during the procedure.
2. A semen specimen is collected from the male partner, and this is sent to the lab along with the retrieved eggs.
3. Under a microscope, the embryologist evaluates both the eggs and sperm, selecting the highest quality of each and combining them to create embryos. This process is called insemination and individual sperm cells are injected into eggs to achieve fertilization.
4. These embryos are allowed to incubate in the lab for five to six days and are observed to determine quality. The eggs are monitored to confirm cell division and fertilization are taking place.
5. Based on the results of this evaluation, one or more of the highest quality embryos are transferred directly into the woman’s uterus. The fertility doctor will use a catheter (small tube) to transfer the embryos in a painless procedure. The remaining viable embryos may be frozen for use in later cycles.
As with any medical treatment, there are some risks associated with IVF. However, most patients complete treatment without difficulty. Risks include multiple gestation, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, and premature birth.
The Fertility Center Reviews
"After working for over 10 years with OB/GYN doctors to try to conceive I finally reached out to a specialty clinic. I am so glad I did! They do things differently and give you a lot more options. Just 3 months after working with these great doctors I became pregnant. Now, we are parents to the sweetest little boy. Thank you Dr. Donesky and Dr. Bird for listening and caring for me. Your staff is wonderful also and genuinely cared about my husband , myself and our dreams of becoming parents. God Bless you all!!!" - Amber
"LOVE the fertility center of Chattanooga. Professional & very friendly. Immediately made us feel comfortable. Excellent, competent & affordable care, worth the drive from Alabama. Our son was conceived on first round of IUI. Forever grateful to Dr. Donesky & Dr.Bird and all the wonderful staff." - Laura
"I went for my first consult with Dr Donesky. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. His explanation of things such as medicines and answering questions was excellent. The atmosphere in this clinic is so warming. The ladies that work here absolutely love what they do and it sure does show!!! The email and phone call return for the staff is excellent!!!! If you have a question it is always answered in a wonderful time frame, my questions have always been answered the same day that they were asked. Infertility is a very emotional thing and couples need support, the staff in this clinic are so supportive and loving. Im from the central Arkansas area and I traveled 8 hours there and 8 hours back to go to this clinic and I would do it all over again! It was worth every single second of travel time. If you are "shopping for a fertility clinic family" this clinic is a great invest!!! Dr Donesky ROCKS and the ladies are awesome!!!!! Good luck and baby dust!!!!!" - Chelsa
"LOVED Dr. Bird and his staff. He was the only doctor able to answer my questions about my infertility issues. I felt like they really cared about my problems and tried to understand my condition. Dr. Bird and his assistant Debrah, made me feel like their most special patient unlike all the other doctors I had visited. He was able to treat my Asherman's Syndrome, reconstructed my uterus, and helped me stay pregnant through constant monitoring. I am happy to report I am currently pregnant with my first child and in my second trimester!!" - Amy
"I treated at the Fertility Center office in Knoxville, and I cannot say enough good things about this practice. Having been to most of the fertility practices in Knoxville, I can honestly say that this is a unique medical practice. Everyone there is so compassionate, and they truly take into account the situation you are in with every interaction. Dr. Donesky has a real gift with infertility, and we wouldn't be expecting our twins without him. I strongly recommend him and this practice to anyone facing fertility problems." - Sarah